CHEST ACTIVITIES & PROJECTS
MAJOR HIGHLIGHTS among other national and regional projects
2. SEMINAR ON WATER SANITATION
From left to right: Dr. T. Parirenyatwa, Prof. Nyazema, Dr. P. D. Parirenyatwa
CLICK HERE FOR MORE PICTURES
CHEST facilitated a workshop on the effects of current critical water and sanitation policies and strategies in Zimbabwe, as they impact on the health delivery systems. Two major reasons for this workshop were that;
- Water borne diseases including cholera have had a devastating effect on the lives of Zimbabweans.
- Cholera should not be endemic in Zimbabwe!!
The workshop interrogated the roles of the various suppliers of water and sanitation services in the country. CHEST indentified key organizations in the interplay between water/sanitation and water borne diseases in the country. These organisations were invited and requested to suggest policy recommendations that are practical and workable, hence it was a very participatory seminar.
CHEST’s mandate was to highlight these policy recommendations and lobby for financial resources, policy changes or new strategic approaches.
The key Objective of the workshop was to find out how water and sanitation policies and strategies affect the health delivery system in Zimbabwe. While the rationale was that there is an urgency to address water borne diseases in the country.
Stakeholders that attended and made useful contributions include;
- Ministry of Finance
- Ministry of Health and Child Welfare
- Ministry of Local Government
- Ministry of Transport
- Ministry of Water Resources Development and Management
- Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources Management
- Institute of Water, Sanitation and Development
- WASH Cluster
- UN BODIES
- World Health Organization [WHO]
- United Nations Children’s’ Fund [UNICEF]
- United Nations Development Programme [UNDP]
- Non-Governmental organizations in Water and Sanitation
- City of Harare, Bulawayo and Chitungwiza
- Consumer Council of Zimbabwe
- University of Zimbabwe
- Standards Association of Zimbabwe
- National Institute of Health Research
- Donors and Funders
- The Media
OTHER ACTIVITIES & PROJECTS
1. ZIMBABWE HEALTH POLICIES’ REVIEW
3. TOWARDS HARMONISING HIV and AIDS POLICIES and STRATEGIES
4. ASSESSMENT OF HIV PREVALENCE AND RISK BEHAVIOURS AMONG THE
POPULATION IN ZIMBABWE